The Leu House Museum is a restored 19th century home listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Four families owned the property before it opened to the public.
The first floor of the Leu House Museum is open Tuesdays-Sundays from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., closed Mondays and December 25. The Leu House will be closed on Saturday, March 13 & Sunday, March 14. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only 8 people at a time may walk thru the first floor. Face masks and temperature checks are required prior to entrance. Click Here to view the Leu House brochure.
The first owners, Angeline and David W. Mizell staked their claim to the land in 1858. The property was originally settled and farmed growing cotton, corn and sugar cane. David W. Mizell, the only sheriff of Orange County who died in the line of duty, was ambushed and murdered in 1870.
Duncan Pell, from New York, wanted to try his luck in the citrus industry and seek a speedy divorce to marry young silent screen star Helen Gardner. Helen Gardner was the first woman to own her own production company, writing and directing in many films.
Woodward Family 1906
The third owners added charm and nostalgia. Joseph and Martha Woodward from Birmingham, Alabama, bought the house as a winter retreat. They named the estate “LaBelle” after the family’s original iron works business.
Harry P. Leu and his wife, Mary Jane, purchased the property in 1936. Mr. Leu owned a very successful industrial supply company. The Leus traveled extensively and brought back plants and seeds for their garden. The beautiful gardens bear witness to the legacy Mr. Leu left to the City of Orlando.
Ernest Bradley was the caretaker of the Leu Estate and his wife Doris was the housekeeper for the Leu home. They lived on the Leu estate along with their son Ernest, Jr. in a home located where the Garden House is now located.